The legend that is Ron Burgundy

Description of your first forum.

The legend that is Ron Burgundy

Postby alfaholic » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Having seen at yesterdays Auto solo my old MX5 now in the hands of Lee Champion, I thought it might be good to pull together a potted history of what must be one the most owned and competed cars in the club for printing in Acorn.

So if any of you previous owners or people that have competed in Ron could email me some details of when and how long you owned Ron, competition history , results, mods, anecdotes etc. along with any pics you have. I will endeavour to put something together. This car has potentially driven more competition miles than any other in 7Oaks - unless someone knows different ?

Please email content to me at stevthom1@hotmail.com

Timeline of owners that I know of is :-

Steve Thompson - original owner
Suze Enden
Andy Elcombe
Paul Sales
???
Lee Champion

Please include any double drives where known as well. If you can come back to me reasonably quickly I'll try and get something together for the next Acorn?

Also had a thought re a new Trophy - the Ron Burgundy award for most points scored on 7Oaks events in a MX5 through the year. Andy E if you think this is viable I am happy to sponsor a trophy, thought it was important to recognise the impact the MX5 has had on clubman's motorsport and the fun these cars have provided, what do you think ?

Steve
'The reason I do it is because if you do it wrong, it will kill you.
If you think it's too dangerous then go home and cut your lawn and leave us to it.'
- Guy Martin
alfaholic

Re: The legend that is Ron Burgundy

Postby Furyblade_Lee » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi Steve, the owner before me Was Lee Claydon who was sharing the 106 Rallye with me yesterday. He did some sprints and autotests/autosolos in it. Paul Sales did the same, I think Andy oened it but not use it in anger?
There is a trophy for MX5's used at all Sevenoaks events each year, been running about 3 years now? I think Salesy won it in Ron the first year, and Andy Elcomb ever since!!
Furyblade_Lee

Postby Andy Elcomb » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:08 pm

Yep, I only rescued it from the Endeans as it was too good to let go entirely, freed off the stuck spark plug that I know had been there since you had it Steve(!), fixed the broken electric window mechanism and then let it go for what it cost me.

Somehow I always manage to sell the good cars and keep the iffy ones!

Anyone want to pay good money for a class winning Mk2 1.8 iS MX5 that is rotten as a pear and uses engine oil at a prodigious rate? Oh and needs a decent respray, new hood and windscreen. Otherwise a very nice driver with good radio!
Andy Elcomb

Postby Salesy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Furyblade_Lee wrote:Hi Steve, the owner before me Was Lee Claydon who was sharing the 106 Rallye with me yesterday. He did some sprints and autotests/autosolos in it. Paul Sales did the same, I think Andy oened it but not use it in anger?
There is a trophy for MX5's used at all Sevenoaks events each year, been running about 3 years now? I think Salesy won it in Ron the first year, and Andy Elcomb ever since!!

Ron served me well for the time i owned it, Much to Andy Elcombs disgust.....

The car was unbelievable in every discipline it competed in proving to be a front runner at every meet. Lee Champion double drove it most of the time with me whilst i owned it and gave us many hours of fun and real competition.

Rons trophy list with me at the wheel included

2nd in Class at North Weald sprint March 2014 (owner)
2nd in Class at North Welad sprint May 2014 (owner)
2nd in Class at Edenbridge Autotest Summer 2014 (owner)
2nd in Class at North Weald Autosolo June 2014 (owner)
1st in Class at North Weald sprint 2014 (owner)
FTD North Weald Autosolo March 2015 (double driver)

Sevenoaks and District MX5 challenge cup winner 2014 and 2015.
Attachments
IMG_5208.jpg
IMG_5207.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg
Salesy

Postby Salesy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:59 pm

More pictures
Attachments
IMG_5211.jpg
IMG_5210.jpg
IMG_5209.jpg