Racewear recommendations

Description of your first forum.

Racewear recommendations

Postby Toby_Galbraith » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:53 am

Looks like I will be getting a chance to share a drive with my Dad in a VSCC sprint next month, so I need to get myself suited and booted. All the gear needs to be to latest MSA/FIA specs, but I don't need the undies or HANS since it's non-race. I already have some (black OMP) gloves, but I need boots, helmet and suit.

Can anyone recommend a shop/online store, or any particular makes/models of race suits, boots or helmets? I hope to be doing more events over the coming years so don't want to get the cheapest, but equally don't really want to spend more than a grand. Where should I focus the cash?

And do we get a club discount somewhere, like Alex Reade at Brands Hatch? Seem to remember something about it.
Toby_Galbraith

Re: Racewear recommendations

Postby Andy Elcomb » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:48 am

I'm perfectly happy with my Hedtec helmets, which are the cheapest to current specs. http://www.hedtec.co.uk

Always had good service and price from AWS down in Ashford and they are happy for you to visit and measure up if you are a weird size or just show you the off the peg stuff. http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk

You should have picked up a £10 voucher at the autotest from 7Oaks member Malcolm Sanders at MSAR which isn't too far (near Crystal Palace) so might be worth giving him a shout http://www.msar.co.uk
Andy Elcomb

Postby stargazer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:28 pm

HI Toby you could try looking at ebay as a lot of racewear companys have online stores with them ,also I found that most of them didn't charge p&p , I bought my racesuit this way and because I bought last years style I saved quite a bit of the lastest price as long as it has the msa 8856 2000 should be fine , hope this helps mark
stargazer

Postby Paul H » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi just to support what Andy said about AWS Ashford we have just purchased two made to measure suits they came quicker than promised and there fit was so much better than off the shelf item just makes you feel more comfortable in and out of car .The price is not the cheapest but well within budget you indicated hope this helps Paul
Paul H

Postby Toby_Galbraith » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi all,

Just to follow up on this thread, I managed to find a suit in my size on ebay for about 80 quid, so spent the rest of my budget on boots and a new Sparco helmet from Demon Tweeks! I searched high and wide for some of the more budget carbon helmets but nobody had any in stock.

Seems like my limbs are of a fairly standard size so the suit fits nicely. If I find that I'm doing more events than I am expecting to, I will probably upgrade to a newer/lighter suit next year, but it was fine for the sprint I did, in an open car and on a not very warm day.
Toby_Galbraith

Return to Fast Talk