AGM MOTION – ACORN PAID SUBSCRIPTION

Description of your first forum.

AGM MOTION – ACORN PAID SUBSCRIPTION

Postby ambulocetus27 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:49 pm

The club has a problem in that the recent re-launch of the Acorn as a glossy colour magazine costs far more than the current membership subscription can cover. Therefore we have two options to vote on at the AGM:

*Proposal* - Make all Acorns black and white on 80gsm paper as they used to be.

*Proposal *– Continue with the colour format and introduce a charge for all members who elect to receive a printed copy.

Please let us know your thoughts on this forum in advance of the AGM
ambulocetus27

Re: AGM MOTION – ACORN PAID SUBSCRIPTION

Postby Andy Elcomb » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:48 pm

I think you would need to give a rough idea of the amount of the extra charge before anyone can make a choice Alex.
Andy Elcomb

Postby robhume » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Ok before I chip in, I only managed to produce a cover of Acorn, so my comments probably don't carry much weight.

I'm assuming the club did not have a problem, cost wise, before the new glossy format was introduced, therefore introducing it in this format has caused the problem.

I think most members would realise that a full colour version is going to cost more than black and white, so as Andy says, some costings for comparison would have been a good idea prior to going straight to colour.

Also, I do remember some time ago, this same topic was raised and whilst the colour version was much better by far, I believe a compromise of sorts was reached, colour outer cover, black and white inside.

It may be a good idea to find out how many members can access email or website, that may help a bit in deciding which direction to go.

I no doubt along with others, can look at the Acorn online, so for me, paying extra for something I already receive for free, does not make sense.

If you go with your second proposal, keeping the colour version and charge those who elect to receive it, you may still find that there are not enough members choosing this option to cover the increased cost.

I'm not trying to be negative as I think what Alex has done is excellent, giving the publication a new fresh look, but if there is going to be any extra payment involved, I would rather it went on the membership and was used to look after the marshalls' comfort. Ok another topic.
Anyway those are my views.
robhume

Postby jeffw » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:25 am

It would be interesting to have some numbers around this. How many members are there, how many of those choose to have Acorn via post, at what cost to the club and what is the difference in cost from colour to monotone.
jeffw

Postby alfaholic » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:14 am

Anyone got an update on the AGM, unfortunatly I was unable to attend?
'The reason I do it is because if you do it wrong, it will kill you.
If you think it's too dangerous then go home and cut your lawn and leave us to it.'
- Guy Martin
alfaholic

Postby jeffw » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:49 am

It would be good to get the minutes posted on a thread.
jeffw

Return to Fast Talk