AGM proposal - standardise marshalling

Description of your first forum.

Re: AGM proposal - standardise marshalling

Postby jeffw » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Alex, you are the new and younger members supporting the club !
jeffw

Postby Salesy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Heres a point of view from a newcomer/younger (if you can call me that) member.

I enter Sprints, Autosolos and autotests and have done 1 trial. I agree that something should be given back to the club and marshalling or tyre strapping seem to be the way.
Don't get me wrong i would rather be competing, and given the limited time off i have i struggle to fit that in so marshalling is bottom of my priorities.

However last year i did marshall Crystal palace on the Sunday and intended to do the trial at Stoneacre late in the year (but Lee Champion swapped places with me)

This year i will again offer my services at Crystal palace and will also try to do a couple more events. I think the current system of a a full day or 2 half days to qualify for the speed league is ok but maybe a mandatory full day or 2 halves for entry into any competition could work.
Salesy

Postby Suesiw » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:32 pm

Reading all this tonight, has made me quite angry. Saying that the people who do the Autotests, do not need to qualify for awards. These are the people, who are most likely to be marshaling for Autosolos, Sprints and Rallies. Without the likes of us, you could not run your events. My thoughts, for over 40 years, have been, if you need a marshal to run your event, then you do your bit to help another. SADLY I think SDMC, is now moving away from grass roots, too many people with big ideas. Let us bring the club back to the Bas Elkington day's. It was the club, for the grass roots, and no conceited knowalls. (no one implied )
Suesiw

Postby jeffw » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:14 pm

I think the point is, Susie, that there should be consistence across all championships the club runs. If the Speed League requires people to marshall to be eligible for championship positions then so should all the other, club run championships. Conversely if the model is that marshalling is not required in Autosolos then it should not be a requirement for the Speed League. I don't mind which one...and I try hard not to be a "conceited know it all" but sometimes I slip so I apologise for that. :cry:
jeffw

Postby robhume » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:56 am

I'm not sure if I fall into the category of "conceited knowalls" or "too many people with big ideas", or even both, but would hope I am neither. If that is an impression I have given, then I am sorry, but I can assure you it was not my intention.
robhume

Postby alfaholic » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Sue I think you miss the point here. This thread has been about whether or not changing the approach to championship eligibility across all disciplines would bring out more marshals no more than that. I fail to see anything in here that accuses non speed competitors of having an easy ride.

7Oaks is still a grass roots club but unfortunately the grass is getting a bit thin these days in terms of competitors and helpers.

A return to the old days is not what is needed as 7Oaks could not survive like that in the modern era. Lets face it time for people back then was more available and there were less of other interests to divert peoples attention, but I have heard Chin say on many occasions that back in the good old days it was just as difficult to get marshals organisors etc. So nothing has changed in that respect.

As I said above tinkering with the proven mechanisms in place really wont change much, but focusing on a strategy for the club would. I applaud healthy and robust debate on this forum and hope it returns to the levels it was previously at, as that is what will keep the club as a lively, progressive and fun thing to be involved in.

Steve
'The reason I do it is because if you do it wrong, it will kill you.
If you think it's too dangerous then go home and cut your lawn and leave us to it.'
- Guy Martin
alfaholic

Postby jeffw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 am

If the grassroots are getting harder to find then surely the club needs to look at casting its net wider and, maybe, look at combining with other local clubs like TWMC. There is an argument that says a larger, Kent based, club would have an easier time of organising events and have a larger pool of competitors/marshalls.
jeffw

Postby alfaholic » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:26 am

I would not fancy being on the committee of that Jeff !
'The reason I do it is because if you do it wrong, it will kill you.
If you think it's too dangerous then go home and cut your lawn and leave us to it.'
- Guy Martin
alfaholic

Postby jeffw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:43 pm

lol....

More people to share the load though.
jeffw

Postby JamesS » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:09 am

So first of all stimulating some interesting debate and throwing around some ideas is great.

However I must say I throughly disagree with this.

The whole idea that you could beat someone in a Speed Championship simply because you marsahalled more is just crazy, it's a Speed League and the victor should be measured on his racing ability alone.

How and/or why would anyone get any satisfaction knowing you had beat someone, not on your racing abilities but because you volunteered more is beyond me.

We have a separate championship to recognize marshalling, but lets keep it separate.

I think the marshalling and participation issues are related.

I had wanted to get involved with motorsport for years but numerous web searches had only revealed what I'd feared and that everything was far too expensive.

I got lucky and ended up working with John Rawlins, he explained Sprinting to me, and off I went with my new found (more) affordable motorsport and I'm very grateful to him.

I'm sure there countless people out there who would love to get involved in Sprinting and Marshalling but have no idea it even exists.

Go Motorsport is a good initiative but when I last looked sprinting was buried on the website and the information wasn't very clear.

I don't know how but, if we get more people into the club I suspect both issues will improve.

As I suspect is the case with alot of people I'd love to be more involved and help the club more, but it's just not always possible if you live further away and have demanding work commitments.
JamesS

Previous

Return to Fast Talk